Thursday, February 4, 2010

Tomorrow - First IUI

Day 2 and 3 of the ovulation predictor kit were much more successful than day 1.  Today the test indicated that I have a surge in my luteinizing hormone and am therefore about to ovulate.  To explain that more fully, when your egg is developing each month it is held in a protective follicle. As the follicle matures, your estrogen level rises. Once your estrogen level has risen to a certain point, it triggers a surge in your luteinizing hormone. That prepares the follicle for ovulation (the release of the egg) and conversion of the follicle into a corpus luteum.  This conversion takes place while the egg is traveling down the fallopian tube in search of a willing sperm. If the egg is fertilized, then the corpus luteum secretes progesterone which helps thicken the lining of the uterus to assist in implantation of the egg.

So.  Today my body had the surge in the luteinizing hormone and an egg should be released in less than 24-48 hours.  This is where the scrambling comes in. After receiving the test result, I called Joy and she said we have to go in tomorrow for the IUI.  Mark has to give a sample tomorrow morning at 7:00 am, and I'm supposed to go have the insemination done at 8:30.  Officially they don't do inseminations until 9:00 am, but I've begged them to let me in early because I have a meeting at work that I do not want to miss for one of my youth clients (it's already been rescheduled once.)  They say they'll let me in, but they sound very dubious, so I have the feeling they're going to let me in to sit in the waiting room until 9:00.  All I can do is try, I suppose.

I'll post tomorrow about the whole experience.

1 comment:

Kira & Elise Cook said...

My fingers are crossed! Love, Jill