Tuesday, February 16, 2010

As Expected

Every month when I find out that I'm definitely not pregnant, I just say I flunked. I flunked again this month, as expected.

To be honest, I really, really don't think IUI works much better than no intervention at all (especially without medications - but I don't want the medications either).  That said, it's a lot cheaper than IVF and just in case it does work it seems like it's worth a try. Since Mark's numbers were up this past month, we'll do another IUI round this month and then evaluate whether to do a third and then a fourth.

I'm getting better about not buying ten zillion pregnancy test kits and starting to test a week and a half before anything could even show up.  I only went through three tests this cycle.  Believe it or not, that's a huge, huge improvement!!

Speaking of money, we've just received our first official bills so now I can really break it out.  Here's how it looks so far for one round of IUI:

Initial Visit with Dr. Sparrow: $280.00
Bloodwork for Me: $23.29 (insurance actually covered a lot of the bloodwork costs)
IUI: $175.00
Semen Analysis: $100.00
Sperm Wash: $225.00
Total:  $803.29

Adds up quickly, doesn't it?  The next round won't be as expensive since we won't need bloodwork, an initial visit, or the analysis. Just the IUI and the wash. 

So far this process isn't all that stressful. It's pretty sobering to think that we just spent $800 for essentially nothing.  Also, now that I've been through the IUI once, the novelty of having the new experience is definitely wearing off and it sounds more like a tedious errand to me than anything exciting, probably also because I have absolutely no confidence that it's going to work.  When we get to the IVF part (assuming we do) I think I'll be a lot more excited because I think the statistics for IVF are so much better for us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear it didn't work out this time...sounds like your head is in a good place though!

i try not to think of my past iui's as failures so much as practice runs (though that wasn't always easy at the time).

i will keep my fingers crossed for you.

none said...

Sorry that you "flunked". Like you, I never put much faith in IUIs. It would be nice to be pleasantly surprised, but you're keeping yourself sane by thinking long-term and conserving your mental energy for what may be a long process. Here's hoping your next IUI proves me wrong!