Monday, January 11, 2010

Length of Treatment

I shouldn't have promised to write about the impact on my job, because I really don't know yet. So instead, I'll write about how long we're willing to try this and how many cycles we're willing to do.

In an earlier post, I gave a top-level view of the financial commitment involved in IVF. Here's a more detailed explanation of how it's stacking up for us:

We have three options.
1. Pay as We Go: We would pay $18,000 for the first round of IVF. They would freeze any leftover embryos. We then pay between $3,000 and $5,000 for each subsequent round of frozen embryo transfer (FET), where you don't do the full IVF procedure, you just have the frozen embryos thawed and implanted.

2. Refund Plan #1: We would pay $24,000. They would do one full IVF round. If that failed, they would do as many rounds as necessary to either succeed or implant all the embryos they were able to get. After 1 year if you haven't successfully gotten to the second trimester of a pregnancy, you get $14,000 back.

3. Refund Plan #2: We would pay $24,000. The process would be the same as #2, except that at the end of the year, instead of giving us money back, they would do one more IVF treatment. If that treatment failed, we would then do pay-as-we-go to implant the remaining embryos.

So, all that to say that the decision about how long to keep trying rests largely in the finances. I think my husband (who will be called Joe from here on out) mentioned that he would be willing to sign up for the full IVF treatment twice (so probably plan 3 above?) but I'm more inclined to sign up for plan 2 and hope for the best. That way I know I'm done in a year and I can move on to other solutions. I could probably be talked into trying again, though.

Joe found out today that when our insurance company says they don't cover infertility at all, they mean it. They don't even cover diagnosis. So, we'll be receiving our first bill soon. Joe wants to keep track of the finances in this blog so people can get a realistic picture of what it actually ends up being from beginning to end. That sounds like a good idea to me, so I'll keep a running tally in each blog.

So far:
Financial Outlay: $0.00

2 comments:

My Vegas said...

so I see you live in a IF unfriendly state that has no IF mandate for insurance. Fun. With MFI, it's harder to do creative coding I am sure. Remember that if you need treatments, make sure you yell loudly of "pelvic pain" or "heavy heavy flow." Those two symptoms will get you some coverage in terms of surgery, etc.

Good luck, and thanks for the cost breakdown. I am a freak about all of the number stuff.

IVF Clinic India said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.