Monday, January 25, 2010

Argh. One step forward, two steps back.

We got my labs back today and they don't look so great.  Here's how they came out:


Estradiol – Normal – 58.3 (normal is 80 or less)
FSH – 11.6 – slightly elevated (11.3 or less is necessary to be considered fertile, below 9 is best)
TSH – 1.55 - normal - (between 0.4-4.0 is normal)
Prolactin 17.3 – normal (25 or less is normal)

So, things aren't looking so rosy.  The FSH means that my ovulation is probably messed up, or my eggs are, or I'm not ovulating properly.  I have to research that more.  In short, the RE is now recommending that we do just one round of IUI, mainly to see if Mark (new name picked!) has had any improvement in his counts.  If he has, then we can still do the four IUI's.  If he hasn't, then we're doing one IUI, then straight to IVF. The only weird thing is normally estradiol is high with FSH, so it's strange that the estradiol is normal.

Oh, the journey. Got upset about it for the first time today.  But then I ran through little things I've learned through reading books by Pema Chodron and pulled myself out of it.  Onward.

2 comments:

none said...

Sorry about the FSH. It's not terrible, but you would definitely want it lower. It's good to have a plan. One benefit of your "experiemental" IUI is that you'll see how well you respond to ovarian stimulation. In our case, my peak dosage for IUI worked beautifully for IVF; same dosage, just for more days and without the dropoff that we had for IUI. Good luck!

~ Jill said...

sorry to hear things weren't quite what you were hoping for. in all the acronym soup though there is still a lot of hope. 11.6 isn't too high for an FSH (it happens to be my FHS as well). keep your head up!